Sunday, March 1, 2015

Blog Post 6

What did you learn from these conversations with Anthony Capps?

http://gettingsmart.com/2013/09/going-hollywood-in-the-classroom/


Project Based Learning Part 1

This video was a great introduction into exactly what Project Based Learning is and what it does. I am new to the idea of project based learning but after watching this video I am so intrigued. It is a very interesting idea that gets children involved with the standards that they are required to learn every school year by using the projects that teachers create. I also found it interesting what Mr. Capps said about about how he is always learning from his students. I agree with this because most teachers approach the idea of teaching thinking they know everything about anything and that it not correct. Teachers are constantly learning new things from students everyday. I can only hope that when I become a teacher that I can learn all there is to know from my students.

Project Based Learning Part 2

The conversation between Mr. Capps and Dr. Strange in this video was very interesting. Mr. Capps and Dr. Strange makes a great point when they said never limit a students learning. I agree with this statement because when a teacher begins to limit a student's learning, it begins to limit there their imagination and creativity. I find it even more interesting that Mr. Capps 3rd graders are so involved with projects. There are always going to be positive and negative reactions when it comes to doing new things especially when it comes to learning but I can tell that with Project Based Learning there are many more positive reactions rather than negative. I also agree with the statement made by Mr. Capps that when students are engaged they are learning. In my opinion it is our jobs as educators to make learning fun and interesting for the students. Being able to engage my students and allow their creativity and imagination to shine through their learning is a personal goal of mine once I become an educator. Project Based Learning provides students with the confidence that everything they are learning in the classroom is meaningful and I respect that.

iCurio

I have never heard of iCurio so watching this video was not only interesting but educational as well. As more and more technology is being brought into the classroom, teachers jobs are becoming more and more challenging. It is harder to learn new technology because frankly we did not grow up learning it, so it is harder for us future educators to adapt to virtual learning but iCurio helps out. It's features are really amazing and it was very interesting to me because it is a tool that allows limits to what students are viewing and doing on the internet.

Discovery Education

I have also never heard of this site either so watching this video was interesting and educational as well. I was always never interested in social studies and sciences but I feel that if I was to have had access to this site I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I think that Discovery Education can make both students and teachers more excited to learn and teach social studies and science. I am a firm believer in visual learning. I am a college student and still use visuals to learn. Students all learn in different ways, but visual learning can always be a start and Discovery Education allows students to access that way of learning.

Strange Tips for Teaching Part 1

I always view and accept tips that come from other educators because I believe they can help me to become a great teacher. This video gives great tips and advice that will definitely come in handy once I become a educator. I believe that teachers have to be ready to constantly learn new things. As students are learning so are teachers and because of this I believe that it can in the long run motivate kids to want to learn. If they see their teachers are making a point to learn new things then in return it can motivate them to learn new things and be excited about it. A great tip that Mr. Capps said and that I agree with 100% is that teachers have to make teaching a fun experience for them as well as their students or he or she will be miserable and no child learns from a miserable teacher.

Use Tech Don't Teach It

I think that this video was a very important video to watch. It really helped me see how teaching with technology can make a difference. I learned that the most important thing about teaching with technology is that children need to see how the technology actually works and for them to see that a teacher has to actually use the technology to teach not just talk or lecture about it. Students should see how helpful technology is in school and it is up to the teachers to show them that. It is also as equally important that parents see how technology is helpful in the classroom. Teachers are finding new ways to show parents that technology helps students with homework, projects, and other interesting things in the classroom. This video gives great insight as to how technology can be taught and used in the classroom but one thing really stood out to me that Mr. Capps and Dr. Strange talked about and that is that students should be allowed to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes and it is important that teachers explain that to their students. The important thing about making mistakes is that you learn from them. Teachers must teach students that making mistakes is okay as long as you take your mistake and learn from it. Once students learn that, they will remember that for the rest of their lives, and I thought that was a very valid point.

Additional Thoughts About Lessons

In this video Mr. Capps referred to lessons as layers, and I think that is a great point. It is an important idea to grasp as teachers as well, because the ultimate goal when teaching students is that they learn each day in school and continue to build on that learning throughout life which is gradually becoming their "learning layers". Any teacher wants their students to learn but it is more important for the children to want to learn and when they do that, they can continue to build their layers with each school year!



2 comments:

  1. This was a great post! I think a lot of these ideas and tips are very useful, and I want to use a lot of them in my classroom. As a visual learner myself, I can definitely relate to you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allie!

    I learned a lot form Anthony Capps. I agree with you that we should not approach teaching as if we know it ALL. I believe that a teacher can learn from his/her students while teaching them. Students come from different backgrounds and it is good to learn from one another. I am excited about the things that my students will teach me!

    ReplyDelete